More Information on Peter Gude

Gentle reader,

As I mentioned in the previous post, we're celebrating 5 years of Festung Europa by taking a look at some of the favorites of the past. Last August, I was excited to have received word via comments on this blog from what is a long-lost cousin of mine, a Dane named Carsten who posted the following:

Hi,
I'm distant related to Ella Gude, born March 1892.
Her father, Peter Gude, are born in Guderup, Als, Denmark (Schleswig) in 1869. Peter's g. grandfather, Jorgen Nielsen Finmand, born 1754, are mine gggg grandfather.
Regards, Carsten

I had replied in my post, thanking Carsten and asking that he would contact me. And about a week ago, he did! His name is Carsten Bonde, and he sent me two church documents related to Peter Gude, my great-grandfather from Guderup, Als, Denmark, born on August 1, 1869. One shows on the last entry Peter Gude's baptism on August 29, 1869 in the Egen church:

Peter Gude's Baptism Listing from the Egen Church

Now I had asked Carsten if he could help me out with the translation. Carsten mentioned that the modern Danes also have a problem with the Gothic script, but that this entry shows his father as Jørgen Gude and his mother as Ellen Gude, age 32. The right side of the documents lists the witnesses, but he couldn't make them out.

Another document Carsten sent me was that of Peter Gude's confirmation in Egen Church on Palm Sunday, April 6, 1884, one year before he emigrated. His entry is again the last on the listing:

Peter Gude's Confirmation Listing from the Egen Church

Carsten also submitted some additional family information to me. He writes:

I'm not sure how interested you are in family history, but here are some facts I've found:

Ellen Frederiksen was born 15 November 1837 in Egen

Jørgen Gude was born 15 October 1828 in Guderup

Jørgen and Ellen were married 22 September 1864 in Egen church.

Children of Jørgen and Ellen:

Jørgen Gude, born 1864, died in Denver, Colorado. Emigrated in 1881 from Copenhagen

Frederik Gude, born 1867, died in Elk Horn Iowa 1952. Emigrated in 1883 from Hamburg

Peter Gude, born 1869, died in Exira Iowa. Emigrated in 1885 from Hamburg.

Daughter (I have not found her name and birthday.)

Christen Gude, born 1875, ?

The family Gude lived in Guderup from before 1680 until about 1911. If you use Google Earth, and type Gl. Guderup 12, 6430 Nordborg, Denmark, you will see the place where they had been living. Also see this link. The link tells the story of the estate Gl Guderup 12. Again it's written in Danish, but with the help of google translate it may make sense for you.

(Ed. note: I've added a Google maps link as well as the Google translated link in English. A Google translated version of the Egen Church website is here.)

Thanks again to Carsten for providing this detailed information on my great-grandfather, Peter Gude, and his family!


-CRM



Comments

Unknown said…
What a great article. Thanks for sharing. We are always looking to innovate and carry the industry forward by sharing great practices. What are your thoughts on digital advertising in regards to SEO, Graphic Design and Content? Visit at centermassmedia.com

Popular Posts