Happy Birthday, Guy!


Hunger Artist by Guy Tensen

Today is the birthday of master artist, Guy Tensen. In honor of this special day, I am posting a cool painting of his, entitled Hunger Artist.

I met Guy, then known as T, sometimes known as Scott 20 years ago in a sauna in Ames, Iowa. Loren Christensen and I were then pledges at Adelante Fraternity in Ames, Iowa, and were taking part in a so-called Rush Function at a local fitness center. Who needs fitness, however, when you can have a good sauna and a great conversation. Guy had Loren and I hooked when he mentioned "The Dark Side", a secretive group of outsiders within the fraternity house. More on this later...

Guy and I were later roommates at the fraternity, living in the reptile gardens, of what was probably the most chaotic (and also the most interesting) room in the place. Later, we were roommates at Fortress Immacula and above Olive's in our exile on Main Street.

I like Hunger Artist as it reminds me of the classic Grease Fests of the old days, when we gorged on the finer things from a deep fat fryer, corn dogs and onion rings. Our chicken wings were also classic. I don't know if Guy is trying to make some social commentary here, but I can imagine that he identifies more with the three butchers enjoying the carnivorous life.

Here's to you, Guy! May you enjoy a tall horn of mead with your evening meat.


Comments

Anonymous said…
Thanks for the tribute!
This painting was originally done as a response to a Kafka short story entitled (obviously enough) "The Hunger Artist".
I highly recommend it. But then I love paranoid ranting as well.

Popular Posts