Fully Blue Moon Festival - Gonar's Drink of the Month!

Greetings:

(cue hypnotic music on Synclavier synthesizer)













I got your letter. Thanks, a lot.

I've been getting lots of sun. And lots of rest. It's really hot.
Days, I dive by the wreck. Nights, I swim in the blue lagoon.
Always used to wonder who I'd bring to a desert island.
Days, I remember cities. Nights, I dream about a perfect place.
Days, I dive by the wreck. Nights, I swim in the blue lagoon.

Those are the opening lines to my favorite Laurie Anderson song, Blue Lagoon, which is the ideal aural companion to one of this moon's Drinks of the Month...
(Screech!!! of record needle) wait a minute...DRINKS of the Month??? That right friends, as is a Blue Moon in Europa, your drinking buddy Gonar is offering up a two-for-one special! Live it, love it! And, as is customary for writing this column, I am drinking them both right now.

Back to the subject, the Laurie Anderson song Blue Lagoon is the ideal aural companion to this drink which shares the name. (if anybody would please go to the trouble of finding an MP3 of it, would you please go to the trouble of sending it to me?) This lovely blue concoction is based on the widely accepted and widely appreciated notion that you can take a tall, cool glass of lemonade, throw in a shot of vodka along with another shot of something fruity, and you've got a tasty summer beverage. If you're wondering what the fruity part is that makes it blue, you get three guesses and the first two...what, you got it already? Blue curacao? That's right. Just to make the column official, here's the recipe.

Fill a glass about 2/3 full with ice, add a shot of vodka, 1/2 to 1 shot of blue curacao, and top it off with lemonade.

The best part about this drink is that it is exactly the same color as Gatorade Cool Blue, so you can buy a bottle of Cool Blue, dump it out, fill it with a Blue Lagoon, put it in your cooler full of ice and head to the beach! This works amazingly well. While drinking a Blue Lagoon I have strolled right past Xarlon patrols, in my Speedo, more than once let me tell you. I do highly recommend the individual size bottle for this, because the family size will completely knock you on your ass. Bad idea for the flight home.

Part two - another beach drink, the Summer Hummer! Fill a...oh wait, I should just copy and paste this part except for those two words...okay:

Fill a glass about 2/3 full with ice, add a shot of vodka, 1/2 to 1 shot of raspberry cordial, and top it off with lemonade.

Another refreshing sweetie, this one tastes a little less tropical and more like, well, like raspberry lemonade. This drink is also great at the beach. If you use a real raspberry cordial, the syrupy kind that is really red, it looks like Gatorade Fruit Punch. If you get a raspberry liqueur it will look more like pink lemonade. Both taste equally great and you won't even need to use Mr. Hologram to disguise them.

Until next time, don't get arrested and have a great month of July. They named it after Julius Caesar, you know. Actually I suppose he probably named it after himself; he got to do stuff like that.

(back to Synclavier Synth)

I saw a plane today. Flying low over the island.
But my mind was somewhere else.
And if you ever get this letter. Thinking of you.
Love and kisses. Blue Pacific. Signing off.

Gonar

Comments

Popular Posts