Interesting People on the Fringe: This Week - Donny and Bobby Vodraska!

This week's Interesting People on the Fringe goes farther back in the recesses of my memory than the previous posts. Since these recesses have been battered, abused and somewhat destroyed by "good living" over the past 20 years, my memories of these guys are fading fast, so I'd better commit this to paper before it is indeed too late.


Donny and Bobby Vodraska
lived in the suburbs of Lincoln, Nebraska.
They were neighbors to my nephews,
And their house was full of refuse,
Not too clean, yet not quite obscene,
Quick, is that a louse?
…or just a mouse?
No worries, five housecats are on the scene.

Their parents spent a lot of money
On the Star Wars toys for their honeys:
Luke and Leia, Tie Fighter and X-Wing
Jabba Hutt, Boba Fett and about every other thing.
”Kids, put down your wookies, come and eat some cookies!”
Makes ya sorta queasy in the belly,
Since the place was kinda smelly.
I’ll think I’ll pass on the snackin’
But, hey, thanks for askin’!

Donny was our Dungeon Master,
In their dark, musty basement, a typical disaster.
“Hey, give me the twenty-sided die!
My vorpal weapon I’d like to try
To use against the six-headed dragon
As the illusionist throws down a flagon
Of a potion, rare and thrilling,
To aid in our afternoon of killing.”

But wait, wait, their old lady's yelling!
Is that cat shit I'm smelling?
Or just the youngest one in a diaper?
Full of poop, you’d better wipe ‘er.
TV’s blarin’, old lady’s scarin’,
Meanwhile, it’s time to skedaddle,
As some poor kid’s gonna get paddled.
Then it’s out the door and into the yard,
Back down the street to Daryl and Barb’s.

I never saw those dudes again after I got out of high school, so I really don’t know what happened to them. For all I know, they're doing hard time on drug charges, or maybe they ended up joining a commune in central Oregon.

So, Donny and Bobby, wherever you are…May the Force be with you!

Comments

Popular Posts