The Man from Uncle

I was born to be an uncle, I think. Actually, my old roommate in college, Guy Tensen, pointed out to me that I even am my own uncle, which turns out to be true. I am my father's brother. Yes, for real. Now before you start thinking that I grew up in some inbred-household in the backwoods of Tennessee, consider this: My biological father, Ronald Meyer, died in a tragic automobile accident before I was born in 1967. Before he died, however, his girlfriend, Rita Stanley, became pregnant with yours truly. After my birth in 1968, I was adopted by his parents, my biological grandparents, Norman and Mildred Meyer. This makes me his legal brother. Being my biological father's legal brother, in a sense, makes me my own uncle. Weird.

And, in this relationship, I became an uncle at the ripe old age of four. Actually, 34 years ago today, September 25th, 1972, I became officially, "Uncle Chris", with the birth of my first nephew, Jon Nielsen. Happy Birthday, Jon! Later, as my sisters became more procreative, I eventually became the uncle to seven more kids.

Now, these kids are having kids of their own, and I am a great-uncle. For example, I am great-uncle to the cutie in this picture, Emily Elizabeth Sheedlo, born to my niece, Becky and her husband, Ryan, on February 15, 2005.

Comments

Popular Posts