Remembering the Dead with Food

What is a good way to commemorate the lives of those who have gone before us? For me, being far from the known graves of my family (although many forgotten or unknown family graves may lie on the fields of northern Germany and southern Denmark), I try to honor my ancestors through the sense of taste. Through foods and beverages that they enjoyed, I can take a moment from my day to reflect upon their lives.

Sound weird? Maybe it is, but I, for one, find the concept of ancestor worship as found in the ancient Germanic religion and especially in Japanese Shinto appealing, primarily as it puts you into contact with who you are, namely your DNA. People need of sense of where they came from to know where the hell they are going.

For example, my Grandma Emma Nelson, who passed away on December 8, 1986, used to enjoy her coffee with cream. When I pour a shot of cream into my java, my thoughts often drift to her. Coming from a family which had probably milked cows all the way back to the Viking age, she saw this agrarian tradition unfortunately come to a close. Perhaps she remembered it herself by pouring cream in her coffee.

My dad, Norman Meyer, used to pop some awesome popcorn, dripping with butter and topped off with just the right amount of salt. He also enjoyed Brach's butterscotch disks, but later switched to the toffee taste of Werther's Originals. Peanut M&M's were also a favorite. As you can see, my old man had pretty good taste in snacks. He died six years ago today at the age of 77.

My uncle, John R. Meyer, known to the family as Junior, died last February at the age of 85. A bachelor farmer, he always had a stash of Brach's chocolate stars hidden in his refrigerator. When I could take a quick break from working with my dad and him on his place, I would sneak into the kitchen and grab a handful. They were always cold, so they cracked in your mouth when you bit into them.

I think one of the most important things a family can pass along from generation to generation is a passion for certain foods and, of course, the recipes, where applicable. My mom and my aunt Nadine bake some awesome Spritz cookies from a recipe passed along through the Meyer family. It is a shame that no one can duplicate the super chocolate chip cookies that my Grandma Nelson once baked, but alas, she needed no recipe and thus, those cookies will never be baked again. This is an admonition! Commit your family's favorite dishes to paper and pass them along! Your heirs will be glad you did, and you can think of the generations that went ahead of you when you are cooking.

Comments

Popular Posts