Early Warning

It's the late shift in the Festung Europa command center, deep in the heart of darkness...

Watch officer (looks over shoulder of young female soldier sitting in front of green screen): How are things this evening, Brooks?

Soldier (sitting up straight): Fine, sir. Nothing exceptional to report.

Watch officer: Good, good. What do you say we catch a quick bite to eat in the cantina?

Soldier: I'm not authorized to leave my post, sir.

Watch officer: Well, I'm the watch officer, and I'm authorizing you.

Soldier (nervously giggles): I am kind of hungry, now that you mention it.

Watch officer (pats soldier on back): That's more like it. Come on, we'll be back in a flash, twenty minutes tops. We can even bring it back here.

Soldier (gets up from chair): OK, sir.

The couple walks down the dimly-lit, steel gangway toward the exit.

Comments

Unknown said…
Cue the apprehensive music
duh, dadada dum, dadada dadada dadada dum...
CR Meyer said…
Yeah, I know...I have a terrible case of writer's block. I wanted to let the whole thing develop into an attack of a potato salad monster (a whirlwind of mayo, eggs and potatoes) in the cafeteria, but I just don't have the passion at the moment.

Popular Posts