Welcome to Yggdrasil!

Gentle Reader,

Thanks for visiting my new blog, Yggdrasil. For those who may not be familiar with the reference, Yggdrasil is the Norse axis mundi, the world axis, the cosmic pillar, a universal ash tree whose branches and roots support the universe, which in the Norse world view consists of nine worlds. How did I come to this reference? I just recently completed a trip to the western hemisphere, where I visited with my old friend and guru, Dr. Ted Solomon. Ted had asked me if I had heard his lecture on Beardshear Hall, the neo-classical Iowa State University administration building, and I replied I had not. "Beardshear is a perfect model of the universe," Ted explained, going on to note how the central, axial form places the person standing under the oculus of the dome in the center of the universe. "But," Ted added, "the center is everywhere...and the circumference nowhere!" (a reference back to the 3rd century Corpus Hermeticum) As you may know from Ted's paradoxical quote on my previous blog, Festung Europa, "The answer to all questions is yes...and no!" So, in keeping with the theme of the universe (perhaps really a multiverse!) and the omnipresent center, I present to you, Yggdrasil, the world tree, der Weltenbaum!

With the downfall of Festung Europa and the demise of the 34th incarnation of the Defensemaster, I am using this opportunity to start fresh and am asking you, gentle reader, to submit your ideas for regular features here on Yggdrasil. There will, of course, be a healthy dose of Norse mythology in keeping with the namesake of the blog, as well as the usual commentary on events of the day. We may even be calling upon some of the remaining editorial staff of Festung Europa to provide us with favorite material, such as The Mark Kingsley Show and Gonar's Drink of the Month. I am not even opposed to bringing back the salacious Girl of the Week feature, provided we can find some apt entertainment. But I do want this to be a fresh beginning if not a clean slate. I want this blog to explore more of the esoteric side of life, as well as the worlds of art and culture. For example, I would like to see Loren Christensen's Culture Corner, a GBCN classic, revived on Yggdrasil. I want to see more artistic submissions by readers in terms of music, videos and artwork. In short, let the creative juices flow!

Comments

Popular Posts