Belated Thoughts on the New Year

Gentle Reader,

I would like to take this opportunity to wish you a happy, albeit, belated New Year. It seems that this year could be one of great change, perhaps along the lines of the tumultous year of 1968, but hopefully more focused and less violent.

I am pleased to see the initial success of Barack Obama's presidential campaign, and wish him all the best. Born at the close of the baby boom, Obama seems fit to take America past the divisive politics to which we have been accustomed and provide positive leadership to bring America back to its place of respect on the world stage. After so many years of having fear thrown in their faces, it seems the American public is ready for a message which brings people together instead of dividing them. That being said, being the current frontrunner has a way of making you a target, so it will be interesting to see how Obama holds up under fire. Make no mistake: the wackos on the Christian right (Huckabee won Iowa, after all) and the good-old-boy (girl?) politics of the Clinton machine would like nothing more than to destroy his chances. The power of youth, however, may seize the day this time around, unlike 1968, when Bobby Kennedy was killed and Nixon won his first term.

1968 was the year of my birth, and as I now approach my 40th birthday, I would just as soon forget about it. Forty is supposed to be a place where you can measure whether you have made it or not, and if I start taking stock of where I am in my life, I begin to panic and reach for a strong yet steadying libation. Not to worry, however. If my mid-life crisis escalates into a full-fledged nervous breakdown, you, gentle reader, have a front row seat under the cool boughs of Yggdrasil. That could make for some interesting blogging, so stay tuned!

CRM

Comments

Popular Posts