Bicycle, Bicycle!

Gentle reader,

I love to ride my bicycle, I love to ride my bike, especially with all those fat-bottom girls that make the rockin' world go round. Mama mia, let me go!

As I mentioned in my previous post, I just took up bicycling again this year after not having done it since, what, 1980? That was the year I got my first Honda three-wheeler, and this boost in motorized mobilization rather put the damper on any more pedal pushing. Surprisingly, I never had a bicycle in college either, but those were the years of cheap gasoline, 89 cents a gallon or thereabouts. Now, however, with the price of fuel here at the equivalent of around 9 to 10 dollars a gallon, it's time to hit the streets and bike paths with my Giant mountain bike. Plus, two hours of bicycling a day is a solid fitness program.

Yesterday was a milestone for me in bicycle aptitude. Having taken a corner a bit too fast on the morning, 20 km (12.5 mile) ride to work, I ended up barreling through a city of Nürnberg rose bed. I had the awful premonition that I would have a thorny problem at the end of the day, and I was unfortunately right. My rear tire was flat when I left work at 7 p.m. Luckily I had a bicycle repair kit with me and a PDF copy of The Ultimate Bicycle Book, which you can get here. I removed the rear wheel, went back up to work, and managed to remove the inner tube, find the leak, patch it, replace the tube and walk the bike to the gas station to pump up the tire. (Unfortunately my repair kit didn't include a hand pump!) I was a bit apprehensive about the quality of job I did, but was pleasantly surprised this morning to see the tire still full.

So if you have a two-wheeler sitting in the garage, get out and get going! And don't forget to pack your repair kit!

Comments

Popular Posts