The Police Reunion

As the news has come that The Police, that awesome band from the late 1970's and early 1980's, is reforming to play at the Grammys and perhaps for a reunion tour, my thoughts are mixed. On the one hand, I think it is nice that whatever differences the three band members, Sting, Stewart Copeland and Andy Summers, had with each other, these can be put aside, and The Police can play once more. On the other hand, I hope that it is not a cheesy reunion deal with no new material but instead "reworked" material, ala the murder of a great song, Don't Stand So Close To Me, in the 1986 version for their singles album. Eeeeek! That was, as they say in the UK, bloody fuckin' awful.

So, gentlemen, please, I beg of you, put some thought into it, write some new material, come out with a new album and let us judge you then. If it is just a rehash of the same old, same old, then please, don't reunite! Stay where you are! My memories of you as a kick-ass band in your prime are too precious to be destroyed by some half-ass deal just for you to make a buck.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I pretty much agree with you on the Police. I’ll check out the Grammy opening and make my judgement then, I guess. I was pretty excited when the Pixies reunited for shows in 2004, and I really enjoyed the show I went to. The still haven’t done any new material, or have any currant plans to do any. It was just nice get a chance to see them kiss and make up and put on a fun show, a little older, perhaps a little wiser. Luckily there was no crappy reinvention of their songs. I agree that the ‘86 song was horrid.

Sting has had a bit of a pretentious image in the last few years, but I’ll give him this; he has continued to push his boundaries as a musician and tried new things. Wasn’t his last album recorded with midieval instruments or something? You may not have liked it, I know I wasn’t thrilled with his stuff buy he has explored new things. I assuming that the others, both being talented musicians in their own right have done much exploration as well. I’ve kind of lost track of Stewart Copelands career over the years and never really tried with Andy Summers, but I’m excited by the potential that they have in doing something really cool. But as you say, if this is just a lame marketing gig because its Roxannes’  30th birthday, then they can fuck off.

Popular Posts