Starkbier!

Gott sei Dank! Starkbierzeit has returned!

It is Lent throughout the Christian community, but you don't have to be a Christian to enjoy the strong, Doppelbock beers brewed for this occasion. It seems that monks of the order of Franz von Paula, otherwise known as Paulaner, now the name of a big Munich brewery, started brewing the strong beer in 1780 to fortify them during their fasting. You've gotta love it. Eat little, while fasting for your sins, but drink plenty of strong, dark beer with about twice the punch of your normal brew. Makes for a good party, which should last for about the next three weeks here in Bayern.

Most Starkbier has names ending in -ator, like Salvator of the aforementioned Paulaner brewery. I don't know if any brewery has come up with a Terminator double bock in honor of the current California governor, but the meaning is the same after you've imbibed a few Maß, which are 1 liter mugs, of the stuff: Hasta la vista, baby!

Tucher Bräu of Fürth, where I reside, is putting up a beer tent in the middle of town again this weekend on the Fürther Freiheit, the main market place. Poculator is the name of the Starkbier offered there. I sampled some last year, and found it to earn my seal of approval. I guess I am too subjective to rate it against a numeric scale or compare it to horses, as some folks I know do, but let's just say the Poculator is tasty and potent enough for me to return this year. Prost!

Comments

Popular Posts